10 Moments of Black Genius for VOW in 2015
2015 has been a busy and amazing year but in this update we’ll spare you the minutia and hit the highlights in roughly chronological order. Stay tuned for a more in-depth recap to come at a later date.
1. We organized two Black Genius Field Trips exposing 20+ youth and their families to the great work of Dr. Mark Anthony Neal and Phil Freelon.
2. We teamed up with Black August in the Park to host an event that attracted over 1,200 participants. We hosted a family zone along with our amazing friends over at Spirit House.
4. We hosted Black Genius Fest & Mural Dedication partnering with Durham’s Office of Employment and Workforce Development and the Durham Civil Rights Mural team. Over 200 people attended with their families.
5. We attended over 15 community events, resource fairs, and convenings to spread the word about VOW.
6. We were named semifinalists for Camel Back Venture fellowship. We find out if we win the fellowship in 2016.
7. We teamed up with leaders of color, and parents from across the nation to present the idea of Revolutionary Black parenting and protecting Black Genius to a national audience at #AGOL2015.
8.We got to know 10 local families in Durham a little better and they helped us better understand Black Genius our Black Genius Profile.
10. We raised over $6000 in funds as a part of a crowdfunding campaign to Protect Black Genius. You all — our supporters raised $2000 in the first 2 days of the fundraiser. Even better, more than 75 donors contributed before the end of the campaign. Big thanks to CBMA for coordinating. We’re giving everybody who donates more than $50 a super fly Black Genius Sweatshirt. You still have time to support and help us win a $5000 grant if you donate before 12/30/2015.
And that’s all folks. Thanks so much for making 2015 an amazing year. We can’t wait to show you what we have in store for 2016!